Home (russian version)  



  The first human settlements on Kozhozero are dated by late Stone Age - early Metal (II с ВС). The finds are stone  arrow points, scrapers of flint or quartz.
Kozhozero was on the way of ancient Laplander people to the North, which is confirmed by toponymy data, in particular - the name Lopp peninsula (used to be an island). Later on the territory was inhabited by Finnish-speaking tribes, the Finnish substrate is present in toponymy complex in Kozhozero. The folk version of the lake's name takes roots in its form -  the form of stretched out skin ("kozha" in Russian means skin, "ozero" means lake).
  Some facts from the history of Kozhozero Bogoyavlenskiy monastery. Its foundation goes back to 16* century. It is known that here, at Kozhe lake the hermitage of monk Nifont was situated, in 1565 Nifont was visited by Orthodox believer Sergiy. The name Sergiy was given at christening to former captive, Kazan prince Tursas Ksangarovich. Sergiy took the monastic vows from Nifont and got the name Serapion. They were the founders of the monastery. The tsar Fedor Ioannovich on 30 September 1585 granted the monastery with the document, according to which the monastery was given the land around 4 verst away from the monastery, and metropolitan Dionisiy blessed foundation of the monastery. For some time the abbot in the monastery was Nikon, later on famous patriarchy whose reforms initiated the split of Russian Orthodox church in the 17th с.
  In 1764 Kozhozero monastery was abolished, and resumed in 1848-1851 years. Stone building started in the, monastery by abbot Pitirim in the end of 19th с. Не also initiated building of the road, which later got the mane of "monastirka". In 1919 the monastery was abolished again, its building housed a commune. It existed for 3 years. Here the so-called Kozh-settlement was situated, but apart from this settlement three more villages appeared by the lake: Habarovo, Tushilovo and Letniy Konets. In 1990s the monastery life was resumed again.
  The river Nikodimka was named in memory of local saint Nikodim Hozyugskiy. Wonders he worked after his death were connected with cure of different diseases: rheumatic pain, fever, blindness, toothache, madness, post-natal diseases. Nikodim is not canonized in Russian church, but in folk belief and local tradition he is considered a saint. People believe that a prey to Nikodim can cure from diseases and helps to find a way out to people got lost in the forest.

 Report Aleksandr Davidov candidate of science on history, of the international seminar "Old-growth forests in the Arkhangelsk region- conservation perspectives"

 River Nikodimka (photography Viktor Mamontov)

 © Antti Desing  @ При использовании материала ссылка обязательна.  последнее обновление 02.07.2005 21:24

Rambler's Top100

Сайт управляется системой uCoz
Rambler's Top100